Newport Lakes Primary School has a long interesting history. It is the oldest continually operating government primary school in the Western Metropolitan Region of Melbourne. Established on July 8th, 1855, it was moved to Elizabeth St, Newport on November 5th, 1886.
We hit a big milestone
In 2006 the school and the local community came together to celebrate the 150th birthday of the school at the Elizabeth Street site.
A close call
In 1967 fire extensively damaged the school leaving only four rooms – and destroying many historical records. One thing it did not destroy was the fabric of the Newport Primary School Community.